Sunday, June 19, 2011

Today is Easier (Under My Feet)

I get motion sickness.  A crazy boat ride.  Any car ride when I'm not the driver.  Swinging. Even a gliding chair.  Ooo...  my head feels light, my tummy whoozy.   That's what it felt like when I was around a drinking person today.  

I could smell the alcohol on the person.  Slight slur in the speech.  A hint of instabilty in the swaying walk.  Oh my God!!!  I remember that.  I let myself get to that point at least once a week.  And being around it today made me feel sick.  The thought of picking up a drink even to smell it was repulsive.

Today was easy.  I found zero attraction in that state of being.  I realized my tendancy to relieve stress or run from problems by using alcohol is steadily being replaced with a desire to be present in my situations and learn to handle them and respond appropriately.  I don't always know how to do that, but I then just admit, often to others around me, that I don't know how to handle something at the moment.  But then I pray about it and seek advice or read scripture or books and I figure it out.  With God's guidance and grace I am handling the things I used to run from.

Today it is under my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment