Friday, October 7, 2011

Dumping Vodka

One year ago today, I dumped a half of a bottle of vodka into a rock garden in my back yard. It was around 5pm. I already had two drinks in me with no plans of stopping. This was the last day that I drank any alcohol.

Moments before I dumped that bottle, I had a heated fight with my husband.  I have no clue what it was about.  Heated arguments were a regular occurrence for us and I knew that alcohol was a contributor.  I was in a desperate place.  I wanted my marriage to be right; to be healthy.  I wanted to eliminate any negative contributing factor.  I had to take my life back.  No longer. I would be a slave to alcohol no longer. 

I had quit drinking on many occasions, always returning back to a state of subservience to alcohol.  This time had to be different.  I cried out to God.  He needed to be my strength, my resolve, my purpose, my freedom.  For the first time, I knew I had to commit not to stopping drinking for awhile, or for a year, or for 10 years.  I had to commit to leaving alcohol behind for a lifetime. 

I had lost my ability to drink responsibly years ago.  I have driven while under the influence.  I have driven with my kids in the car when my alcohol level would have far exceeded the legal limit.  I have lead worship music for church gatherings after multiple drinks.  I drank in secret, while alone, at any time of day.  My kids were probably used to the smell of alcohol on me, even if they didn't know what it was.  I have used alcohol to escape, cope, and to bury my soul. 

I still don't think anyone knows or understands the seriousness of the state my problem was in.  I don't know why people like to look away.  But there was no more looking away for me.  I dumped that bottle of vodka in the rock garden and I stared directly at the demon that I let creep into my life. I drew upon the strength of God and declared my freedom.  No longer a slave to alcohol!!!  No longer a victim in a stressed marriage.  Now submitted more fully to life God intended for me. 

Today I can breathe, smile, objectify, reason, cope, stand tall, stand free.  Dumping out that bottle of vodka just may prove to be the most powerful turning point in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment