Sunday, January 16, 2011

Dreams About Drinking

So, I keep having dreams about drinking.  That has never happened before in my life.  It never happened the other times I quit drinking.

Sometimes I dream that my husband has a beer on the counter and I pick it up and have a sip, like i used too.  Then I feel horrified that I forgot that I don't drink and am afraid the whole abstinance thing will come crashing down on me.  Other times I dream that I'm out on a date with my hubby and I decide to have a glass of wine, because one glass won't hurt.  Then the fear of getting back into daily drinking floods me in my sleep.  Other dreams I don't remember very well, but I wake up with guilt that I could abstain, that I failed, and have feelings that something bad will happen.

I don't know why I am having these dreams, but since I never have before, I am going to attribute them to the fact that things are changing in me.  Things like the decision that I will not revisit drinking at all.  That this time it is really different.  I am changing inside.  I am not sure how, but I am gaining strength and resolve that I never had before.  I think my brain is trying to work this out in my sleep.

I've heard that alcoholics have experienced this when they become sober.  Hmmm........

No comments:

Post a Comment