Thursday, December 2, 2010

Coffee Time

Today I am having coffee.  Well, I do almost every day.  But today I am using a ceramic coffee mug that I painted at one of those pottery places that is fun for the family.  Grab something off the shelf, paint it, they glaze it and you pick it up the next day.

I don't usually use this mug because I am overwhelmed with a messy house and for kids and it is recommended that you not put this mug in the dishwasher.  That means I'll have to hand wash it.

Maybe I've shied away from it in the past because it represents an unforgettable time in my life.  The pottery place was a special activity with my stepmom.  She got a day pass to leave the inpatient facility she was staying at to be with me and my kids.  As you've guessed, she was in treatment for full-blown alcoholism.

This mug is a beautiful reminder of my commitment to and love for my stepmom, as well as a reminder of where my life could be headed if I don't abstain from alcohol.

Her story has enough similarities to mine (and any other woman with kids and a struggling marriage) that I think often about what my future will look like depending on the daily decisions I make and how I choose to cope with anxiety, pain and hurt.

So, today, I am enjoying the coffee in this sentimental mug and feeling empowered to stay sober.  Oh, and my stepmom is mostly sober these days.  She goes to daily AA meetings and occasionally relapses and gets right back on track.  I am proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment